Update 9/21/19: Deal available until October 10th, 2019. Hat tip to reader Nis Pat
Update 8/14/19: Deal has been increased to $250. Hat tip to reader IS250
Update 7/20/19: Deal has been extended until 9/30/19 AVMFZ
Update Deal has been extended until August 8th, 2019.
Update: Deal has been extended May 23rd, 2019. Use promo code AVCFZ or AVDFZ. Hat tip to reader Jay.
Update: Use promo code AVGFZ. If you already applied without a promo code it’s recommend you call in to get the promo code added to your account. Hat tip to reader Matt. In the past a promo code has automatically applied, but that doesn’t seem to be the case this time so not sure if there is an issue there or not
Offer at a glance
- Maximum bonus amount: $200
- Availability: AL, DC, FL, GA, IN, KY, MD, NC, OH, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV
- Direct deposit required: Optional
- Additional requirements: See below
- Hard/soft pull: Soft pull It seems like they are very persistant about overdraft protection so make sure you don’t opt in for that
- ChexSystems: Yes, not sensitive
- Credit card funding: Up to $250 (says debit card only, but credit cards will work)
- Monthly fees: $12, avoidable
- Early account termination fee: $25, 180 days
- Household limit: One
- Expiration date:
March 14th, 2019 May 23rd, 2019October 10th, 2019
- BB&T is offering a bonus of $200 when you open a Bright Banking checking account by March 14th, 2019, use promo code AVCFZ or AVDFZ and complete one of the following requirements:
- Enroll and receive two direct deposits of $100 or more each
- Use U By BB&T bill pay to initiate three online bill payments of $25 or more
The Fine Print
- BB&T associates are not eligible. Not available in Pennsylvania or New Jersey. All applications are subject to a credit history review and approval.
- Offer is available for new BB&T clients who open a BB&T retail checking account.
- Normal minimum opening balance requirements apply.
- Offer is limited to one incentive per household and does not apply to second or multiple personal accounts.
- To receive the $200 incentive, clients must open a checking account online at BBT.com, in a BB&T financial center or through BB&T Phone24 before March 14, 2019, and within 75 days of account open date either: 1) Use U by BB&T® bill payment service to initiate three online bill payments of $25 or more each from the new checking account OR 2) Enroll in and receive two direct deposits of $100 or more each to the new personal checking account.
- Any account not in good standing, closed or with a balance less than or equal to zero at the time we review account eligibility (between 76-90 days of account opening) will not receive the $200 incentive.
- Accounts are reviewed once.
- Incentive will be paid within four weeks of account eligibility review.
- Nonresident alien clients must also submit a valid Form W-8, NRA Certification Statement and a copy of their passport to BB&T by the time the account is reviewed for incentive eligibility. Form W-8 and NRA Certification forms are available from any BB&T financial center.
- You must be a new BB&T personal checking client and must not have closed a BB&T personal checking account since March 15, 2018
- All bank account bonuses are treated as income/interest and as such you have to pay taxes on them
This account has a $12 monthly fee, this is waived if you do either of the following:
- Receive a direct deposit of $500 or more
- Have an average daily balance of $1,500 or more
Early Account Termination Fee $25
All accounts come with a $25 early account closure fee if you close them within 180 days of account opening.
When going through the account opening process, it does ask for a promo code and no promo code is automatically filled but I don’t see anything about that on the application page so not 100% sure how it all works. Previously some states have offered $150 and others have offered $200. If this is available in all states listed and doesn’t require a promo code then this is a good bonus and I’ll add it to the best bonuses currently available but it’s not clear if that’s actually the case. As always share your experiences in the comments below.
Hat tip to reader Ray
Useful posts regarding bank bonuses:
- A Beginners Guide To Bank Account Bonuses
- Bank Account Quick Reference Table (Spreadsheet) (very useful for sorting bonuses by different parameters)
- PSA: Don’t Call The Bank
- Introduction To ChexSystems
- Banks & Credit Unions That Are ChexSystems Inquiry Sensitive
- What Banks & Credit Unions Do/Don’t Pull ChexSystems?
- How To Use Our Direct Deposit Page For Bank Bonuses Page
- Common Bank Bonus Misconceptions + Why You Should Give Them A Go
- How Many Bank Accounts Can I Safely Open Within A Year For Bank Bonus Purposes?
- Affiliate Links & Bank Bonuses – We Won’t Be Using Them
- Complete List Of Ways To Close Bank Accounts At Each Bank
- Banks That Allow/Don’t Allow Out Of State Checking Applications
- Bank Bonus Posting Times